Best Plasma Cutters For Casual And Professional Use.
Plasma Cutters Types, Features, Detailed Product Reviews And More..
Humans have been utilizing tools to propel civilization to live for thousands of years. In fact, some studies show that our work on toolmaking goes further back than language, which just indicates just how important the tools are in our lives. Plasma cutting innovation has steadily developed from the welding innovation of the 1960s when the early plasma cutters were awkward monsters! If you’re interested in the best plasma cutters, you might have seen their reach has been growing in new innovation and also in price.
We’ve seen this and figured it is useful to bring some detailed insight into the differences. On the other side, if you have a plasma machine, you will not need to manage loud grinding, a messy workplace, or rough and inaccurate metal cuts. This tool is an ionized gas torch that heats up and melts electrically conductive material to make clear smooth welding. We almost went through over 150 hours testing different unique plasma cutters and spoke to many professional welders about their top choices, including probably the most famous welding hardware brands.
If You Are In A Hurry Then Check Out Some Of These Important Products:
10 Best Plasma Cutters In Market
It is effective on many sorts of metals, including chrome steel, aluminum, titanium, cobalt, nickel alloys, cast iron, and more.
While Combining 50A plasma cutting, 200A TIG welding, and 200A stick welding in one convenient and versatile unit, allows you to cut metals up 6 inches thick.
It has an automatic dual voltage or we can say dual-frequency(110/120 V 220/240 V 50/60Hz).
It has high speed and precision cuts combined with low cost, air plasma cutter is suitable for chrome steel, steel, low-carbon steel, copper, aluminum, and other metal materials.
If we compare with oxyhydrogen cutting, plasma cutting is far more safe, quick, low cost, and straightforward to use.
It allows you to chop expanded, rusted, and painted metals.
Continuous Pilot Arc enables you to chop expanded, rusted, painted metals.
The controls operate smoothly and everything plugs in because it should, not be too loose and not too tight.
Great for chrome steel, steel, copper, aluminum, and more.
Cutting thickness is 1/2″ for Clean Cut and 3/4″ for Severance Cut.
This 50-Amp plasma cutter has an operating atmospheric pressure of 75 PSI at 5 CFM.
It is made from heavy-duty iron.
It has a high cutting speed and can cut smoothly.
Good cooling and long service life.
Needs a 120-volt power source and 1.5 CFM of compressed gas.
It cuts low-carbon steel, aluminum, and chrome steel from thin material.
This machine also can cut aluminum up to 3/16.
The weight is only 21.5 lbs but still, the machine is definitely transportable.
It ensures the plasma cutter has a stable and sturdy high performance.
The technology allows you to chop without touching the tip to the metal.
Better cutting quality and longer consumable life.
What Is A Plasma Cutter?
A plasma cutter is a great popular tool for cutting metals and automotive work. They cut with speed, precision and may cut any conductive metal. It is equipped with an ionized gas gun that heats and melts the metal and then blows it to make a clean cut.
This can cut metals like iron, low-carbon steel, brass, chrome steel, copper, and aluminum and prove itself as a production booster tool. It is the method of using electronically ionized gas i.e., plasma to cut through electrically conductive materials. This technique is often wont to traverse metals like copper, aluminum, chrome steel, brass, and iron. The plasma cutters prove to be good productivity-boosting tools.
- One of the quickest ways to chop the fabric which is electrically conductive.
- A useful addition to your workplace as torches are precise and versatile.
- The quality of the cut is clean, precise, and delightful.
- Higher versions of plasma cutting machines are equally safe as they’re fitted with exhaust to redirect the smoke far away from the user.
- One of the most important cons of owning a plasma machine is that the incontrovertible fact that they’re specialized machines. If you don’t do tons of fabric cutting, you’ll not make certain if buying one is that the right option. If you saw through metal, say, once every two months, the value and energy of selecting, buying, and fixing a machine with one function might not be worthwhile.
- When you traverse metal, the torch tends to make a warmth-affected region, which can harden the sides of the cutting surface. The warmth also forms dross when molten metal re-solidifies around the perimeter of the cut.
How Does A Plasma Cutter Work?
Plasma cutters work by sending an electrical arc through a gas that’s passing through a constricted opening. These are shop air, nitrogen, argon, oxygen. etc. This elevates the temperature of the gas to the purpose that it enters a 4th state of matter.
All are conversant in the primary three like solid, liquid, and gas. Scientists call this extra state plasma because the metal being cut is a component of the circuit, the electrical conductivity of the plasma causes the arc to transfer to the work. The restricted opening (nozzle) the gas passes through causes it to scrape along at a high speed, like air passing through a venturi during a carburetor.
This high-speed gas cuts through the molten metal. The gas is additionally directed around the perimeter of the cutting area to shield the cut. In many of today’s better plasma cutters, a pilot arc between the electrode and nozzle is employed to ionize the gas and initially generate the plasma before the arc transfer.
Best Plasma Cutter Detailed Reviews:
Best Portable Plasma Cutter
- It can cut many metals up to 1/2″ thick with the 50A plasma cutting function.
- The TIG and stick welding settings work with different types of metals.
- The 50A plasma cutter is used for cast iron, mild steel, copper, and more.
- The 200A TIG torch can weld magnesium, aluminum, and stainless steel.
- The CT-520D is effective on many types of metals, including stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, cobalt, nickel alloys, cast iron, and more.
- It sells top-quality TIG welders, multi-measure welders, plasma cutters, and welding accessories.
- Combines 50A plasma cutting, 200A TIG welding, and 200A stick welding in one flexible unit, permitting you to cut metals up 6 inches thick.
- This convenient, compact, and precise unit will make a moderate and dependable addition to your workshop.
- The PrimeWeld CT-520D is a convenient 3-in-1 unit that can help you tackle the entirety of your Plasma Cutting, TIG welding, and stick welding tasks.
- Different types of problems were faced during plasma cutting such as air dryer leak, pressure gauge unresponsive, amperage stuck at 10A.
Also Read: Best Welding Industrial Robots
Best Compact Metal Cutter
- It is suitable while cutting Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Mild Steel, Copper, Aluminum, etc.
- It uses non-hazardous compressed air to cut, safe and at low cost.
- Has a compact plasma cutter that features a handle for portability and uses non-hazardous compressed gas to chop chrome steel, low-carbon steel, copper, and aluminum.
- It is not compatible with Lotos LCOn20, LCON40, or LCON90 consumables Sets, or the other third-party consumables set.
- The LT5000D is a superb choice for home DIY jobs and lightweight duty small business projects.
- Using Pulse-Width-Modulation (PWM) technology, the inverter power supply generates powerful DC welding currents.
- An optimized design supported state-of-the-art MOSFET transistors provides high power output for thick metal cutting, also as steady output for skinny metal cutting.
- The Lotos LT5000D Plasma Cutter delivers strong cutting performance during a compact package.
- After someday we faced a problem in getting any air pressure at the torch.
A Good Plasma Cutter Machine
Non-Touch PrimeWeld Features:
- The PrimeWeld CUT60P may be a user-friendly machine that doesn’t require any special skills or experience.
- It’s built to last and is right for top-notch cuts, fast turnaround times, and simple operation.
- This versatile unit is ideal for both industrial/construction work and home/hobby use and maybe wont to create artistic patterns in metals.
- It’s a perfect cutting device that will quickly and simply be attached to generators and welders.
- This plasma cutting machine includes a PT60 blowback cutting torch, complete with a Euro Central Connection, which provides premium control over your projects.
- It’s specifically designed to supply top-quality cuts in chrome steel, low-carbon steel, copper aluminum, and lots of other sorts of metal materials.
- With blow-back start technology, 60% duty cycle at 60amps, and dual-voltage 110V/220V with adapter, there are many elements during this 60-Amp plasma cutter to form it deserve an area in your workshop.
- The supplied IPT-60 torch head is fairly common and its variants are often found on many plasma cutters from various manufacturers & brands.
- While cutting the edge of a good job kit it caused a messy cut which caused a lot of grinding and additional welding to get fixed.
Best Air Plasma Cutter
Combo Welding Machine Lotos Features:
- Compact Plasma Cutter features a Handle for Portability and Uses Non-Hazardous compressed gas to chop chrome steel, low-carbon steel, Copper, and Aluminum.
- The pre-installed NPT 1/4” industry type D plug and air cleaner regulator allows you to quickly hook up with your compressor by using the stand coupler existing on yourcompressor.
- With high speed and precision cuts combined with low cost, an air plasma cutter is suitable for chrome steel, steel, low-carbon steel, copper, aluminum, and other metal materials.
- The LOTOS CT520D is one among the primary to plug multipurpose welder that permits the user to DC TIG/Stick weld and plasma cut all from one portable machine.
- Dual voltage capability allows the machine to run directly on 220 V 50/60 Hz power, or on 110 V 50/60 Hz with the utilization of a pigtail.
- CT520D combines 3 functions into one with a 200 A DC TIG Welder, a 200 A Stick Welder, and a 50 A Air Plasma Cutter with the flip of a switch.
- When comparing with oxyhydrogen cutting, plasma cutting is far more safe, quick, low cost, and straightforward to use.
- It has an adjustable hot striking arc current which may greatly improve the arc starting function.
- Doesn’t contains the Pedal, will cost you another $100.
Best Plasma Cutter With Non-Touch Pilot Arc
PrimeWeld Automatic Dual-Voltage And Dual-Frequency Features:
- It combines 50A plasma cutting with pilot arc capability, 200A TIG welding, and 200A stick welding in one convenient versatile unit, allowing you to chop metals up tosix inches thick.
- The pilot arc allows you to chop without touching the tip to the metal, making it ideal for painting, highly rusted, or expanded metals, or forgoing across slats.
- The CT-520D is effective on many sorts of metals, including chrome steel, aluminum, titanium, cobalt, nickel alloys, cast iron, and more.
- It also includes a PAPST Advanced German cooling system and a MOSFET transistor, allowing you to chop thin metals or thicker metals.
- Includes integrated Matrix with Pilot Arc function to efficiently traverse rough, painted, and rusty metal with less slag.
- This compact plasma cutter features a built-in handle for straightforward portability around your workshop or job site.
- The dual-voltage capability allows you to run directly on 220V 50/60Hz power, or on 110V 50Hz/60Hz.
- This versatile plasma cutting machine uses non-hazardous compressed gas to chop metals.
- Sometimes it stops working for no apparent reason.
Best Small Plasma Cutter
Super Deal DC Inverter Features:
- Its solid material construction makes it reliable and provides it strength which will be used for an extended time.
- Suitable for a good range of applications including sheet fabrication, light industrial use, site work, automotive, ducting work, repair, and maintenance services.
- It not only is often utilized by businesses and DIY users but also fully accommodating the stress of professional operators.
- Easy Read Front Panel Air-Pressure Guage, save energy and creates no noise.
- Continuous current regulation, high cutting speed & smooth cut finish.
- This plasma cutter features PRO technology, a more stable performance.
- It is more economical and efficient than the normal cutting machine.
- Easy to use and cost-efficient performance to save lots of money.
- No cons such found.
Best Inverter Plasma Cutter
Dual Voltage Compact Metal Features:
- The plasma cutter machine by using inverter technical of switch power, more stable performance.
- More economical and efficient than the normal cutting machine thanks to the high speed, heat, and high energy plasma draught.
- Automatic recognize the input voltage. The ability of the twin voltage allows the plasma cutter to work at 110V or 220V, with an influence of 60HZ.
- Suitable for a good range of applications including sheet fabrication, light industrial use, site work, automotive, ducting work, repair, and maintenance services.
- The cutting machine is not only used by businesses and DIY users but also fully accommodating the stress of professional operators.
- The compact plasma cutter features a handle, and the torch design provides a comfortable grip.
- Built-in over-heat protection, over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection.
- No such cons were found.
Best Easy Weld Plasma Cutter
- Allows you to tug cutting basketball shot direct contact with the metal you’re cutting for smooth consistent clean cuts.
- Dimensions are 15.125″ (384.18 millimeters) x 8.125″ (206.38 millimeters) x 12″ (304.8 millimeters), Weight is 21.5 lbs.
- This plasma cutter also features Drag Torch Technology, which allows you to tug the tip directly on the surface of the fabric for smooth and precise cuts.
- While running 10 gauge, short extension cord, or directly plugged into 110v. It would stop after two or three inches of a very slow cut.
- With this plasma cutter, you’ll clean-cut low-carbon steel, chrome steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, brass, and copper up to 1/4”.
- This machine is generator friendly and runs off a typical 120V outlet, making cutting on the go easy and efficient.
- Includes a 13′ cutting torch, 8′ ground clamp, 20A-15A adapter, 1 additional electrode, and 1 additional nozzle.
- The Forney Easy Weld 20 P may be powerful and straightforward to use the plasma cutter.
- No cons found.
Best Lincoln Plasma Cutter
- The Lincoln Electric 20 is suggested for cutting the sheet to 1/8 in.
- Includes cutting torch assembly with 9.5 ft. reach ground clamp with 8 ft. cable, cord, and plug.
- Operates on 115V, 20 amp for max. output, 115V, 15 amp for 10-15 amp output.
- Very portable and ideal for HVAC and autobody work.
- Uses standard compressed gas, requiring 3.5 CFM @ 65 PSI.
- No cons found.
Best Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter
LOTOS Dual Voltage Arc Plasma Cutter Features:
- Pilot arc technology allows you to chop without touching the tip to the metal. Better cutting quality and longer consumable life.
- The compact plasma cutter features a handle for portability and uses non-hazardous compressed gas to chop chrome steel, low-carbon steel, copper, and aluminum.
- The pre-installed NPT 1/4” industry type D plug and air cleaner regulator allows you to quickly hook up with your compressor by using the stand coupler existing on your compressor.
- An optimized design supported state-of-the-art MOSFET/IGBT transistors provides high power output for thick metal cutting, also as steady output for skinny metalcutting.
- The LTP5000D is a superb choice for home DIY jobs and lightweight duty small business projects.
- It efficiently cuts through rough, painted, and rusty surfaces and produces minimal slag.
- Suitable cutting for chrome steel, low-carbon steel, Copper, Aluminum, etc.
- Pilot arc torch efficiently cuts though rough, painted, and rusty surfaces.
- The grounding wire was very weak and the screw that mounted the wire to the frame was lost.
Types Of Torches
Types Of Torches Used In Plasma Arc Machining
The lead your torch may be attached to is a crucial element of the plasma cutter. It doesn’t appear as if it does much except connecting the torch to the machine, but it’ll change your experience of the plasma cutter a good bit counting on its length and sturdiness. Longer leads are desirable once you want to visit different parts of a project to chop while keeping the machine stationary. However, if you plan the plasma cutter to stay at a bench where you bring all the projects for cutting, leads won’t be got to be long. The lead’s quality also affects your experience. Thin or low-quality material can easily become damaged and end in an unsafe or unusable torch before too long. the very best quality lead is usually the simplest option.
Drag technology enables the torch to chop through metal smoothly while the highest of the torch touches your project. Without drag technology, the nozzle can stick with the metal through a double arc fault during the cut process. this will either stop the momentum altogether or create an inconsistent, jittery cut that lacks precision and accuracy. It also ruins tips while creating ugly arc marks on your job. Drag technology is superb to eliminate this. It’s the simplest thanks to tracing lines when you’re cutting for artistic or decorative projects that don’t follow a straight guiding edge.
This torch creates the plasma from a little distance far away from the metal you’re cutting, and it cuts through the section without the nozzle ever touching your project. it’s a feature called a standoff, which keeps the torch at a continuing distance and may sometimes be adjusted for various heights to vary the sort of cut you would like. Machines with these torches produce tidy cuts and provide the method precision and consistency while ensuring the nozzle remains clean by stopping it from touching the metal or dirt on your project.
This is the smallest amount desirable sort of technology during a torch. It works by the nozzle touching the metal to make the cutting arc. It then must be lifted off the project, and sometimes free-hand slid across the metal while accurately hovering it above the metal to end the cut. It is often challenging to realize, as you would like a really steady hand to stay at the proper height, and it never completes the cut with the accuracy and cleanness of the non-touch start or drag technology. Touch start torches are generally the lowest-priced buy, which is about their only advantage.
Plasma Cutter Machine Applications.
The Plasma cutter plays a really essential role to form the manufacturing optimum and cost-effective. Whether you produce one piece or production, cost and effort should be kept in mind. When performing on plasma or doing the traditional cutting, compare them. Mounted Plasma torches lower the value of cutting when during automation, cuts particular patterns. Not even they’re faster but more clean, precise and lass dross is noticed. Industrial cutting doesn’t allow a small error, so automated and programmed torches remove this risk. The high-tech process needs aesthetics and precision as prime importance. The initial cost of those plasma machines could also be high, but the sturdiness of the equipment and consumables needs a sympathetic consideration. This may reduce the effective cost of an extended time.
Automotive professionals, hobbyists, garage owners need plasma for automotive cutting for vehicular restoration, customization, and repair. The cutting needs include removal of parts, fabrication of latest parts, nuts & bolts cutting, and preparing metal surfaces. Portability and lower weight are usually the necessity for the automotive business. The need is usually for a handy, strong, versatile gun with a pilot arc to chop even rusty and painted surfaces in every small nook & cleft. The automotive cutting is usually a skinny sheet not beyond 1/2″ thickness.
Artcraft is such a venture that without proper tools could also be a frustrating experience to precise themselves. to succeed in the extent of creativity, artists with a plasma cutter are enabled to form minute, complex, and complex cuts and styles. The era before the plasma torch was tough for a metal artist to form a particular cut. The available source for cutting was inadequate to require control of their artwork. These torches empower the artist to form different intricate themes in solo or in production even. The ionized plasma torch empowers an artist to satisfy his dream for the art of his choice.
A homeowner may have a gun to chop metal for repair and maintenance. In a home, we will summarize various applications like plumbing, home welding repair, garage doors, fixture fabrication. The choice of plasma cutter with an extended life, the economical consumable cost could also be a better option where portability may be compromised.
How To Set Up A Plasma Cutter
- First follow all the security instructions issued within the handbook, including wearing a helmet to guard your eyes against radiation and welding gloves.
- Connect the compressor to the plasma cutter (see instructions because the thanks to do that varies). If your plasma cutter features an inbuilt compressor you won’t get to do that.
- Connect your cutting torch to the plasma cutter.
- Connect your ground clamp to the plasma cutter and securely attach it to the workpiece. make sure that there’s no rust or paint where the clamp meets the workpiece.
- Ensure all the connectors are firmly attached.
- Set the right settings for the metal thickness you’re cutting.
- Test the torch to ascertain if there’s airflow by briefly holding down the trigger on the torch.
Plasma Cutter Buying Guide
The power sources to think about are electrical and pneumatic (air pressure). Both are essential to run plasma cutters. Some plasma cutters run on different sorts of gases, but most are pneumatic.
110v plasma cutter
A standard point at most people’s houses is 110/120 volts, which makes a plasma cutter with this input desirable. However, running off this many volts won’t produce enough power to chop through far more than 1/4″ of metal.
If you would like to run 220/240 volts, you’ll need a special point put in, which costs extra. It’s preferable to not require these additional costs, but if you would like to chop through 1/2” plate or thicker, it’s necessary. the additional price will make a big difference within the speed and quality of the cuts.
The number one thing you ought to check out once you choose a plasma cutter is that the thickness of metal that it cuts. you ought to consider what thickness of metal you’re getting to be performing on the foremost frequently and appearance for a perfect cut at that thickness.
Inspect the thickness of mild metal that the machine can cut at a rate of 10 inches per minute. The severance cut won’t produce nearly as good results and you’re happier only using this maximum thickness occasionally and where you don’t mind dross. If you need quality cuts then you ought to check out the perfect cut.
Duty cycle refers to the length of your time that the machine can continuously operate before wanting to calm down. For instance, a 35% duty cycle at a group amperage & voltage will mean that in those settings, the plasma cutter can remain on for 3.5 minutes out of a complete of 10 minutes without overheating. The duty cycle will increase you lower the amperage. An extended duty cycle at a better amperage is best for creating long deep cuts into metal.
Weight is usually something to think about when buying the equipment as you don’t want to be carrying around an excessive amount of heavy equipment. Luckily, most plasma cutters are relatively light lately because of inverter technology. If you’re buying a plasma cutter with an inbuilt compressor it’d be slightly heavier, but this may still be tons more portable as you simply need the plasma cutter and you’re able to go.
Read during all the security instructions supplied within the instruction booklet by your chosen plasma cutter. Confirm you get an honest pair of safety glasses to guard your eyes. albeit the arc isn’t as intense as a welding arc it can still damage your eyes so try a pair of shade 3 or 5 glasses.
You ought to also wear gloves. Don’t use any gloves made up of synthetic material because they will melt and stick with your skin, always accompany leather. Cover your body, legs, and arms with durable, cotton material to guard it against sparks and therefore the arc. Finally, as you’ll be chopping up metal, wear some boots with steel protection to stop injury from falling metal.
The items listed above are all tried and tested by real experts that use their machines frequently. Choosing a product from our list will take you to a satisfied customer, as long as you choose one that adheres to your needs. We find LOTOS Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter and Super Deal DC Inverter Plasma Cutter within the same league as far because of the utility and specifications.
Hopefully, this guide will assist you to choose the simplest plasma cutter for your needs. We hope you liked our article if so, we’d really appreciate it if you’ll rate and share it.