Showing 1–16 of 18 results
If you are new in fishing, you probably have no know what are the tools needed or how they work. One of the popular tools is Fishing Reels. These are the cylindrical-shaped devices connected to a rod used for fishing. It basically is used in setting line to help in casting the line in the water, for long-distance fishing, and it also helps in creating an angle with accuracy for better fishing.
However, there are basically two types of fishing reels available. We will talk about this later in this article. The percentage of using fishing reels are high because these are easy to use. In addition, the bait casting reel follows a steady process mechanism. Different types of fishing reels can differ according to their level of inconvenience and comfort while in use.
Why Should You Use Fishing Reels?
- There are multiple options to use when it comes to fishing equipment. But in order to really enjoy fishing, you will definitely need to use fishing reels. Over the years, there have been numerous improvements in fishing equipment.
- Since there are different types of fishing reels available they have their own benefits of using. They give you a more solid construction and also give you more options for line to use. These are very convenient for ice fishing, pan fishing, and other small fish species. They are also constructed to be efficiently used in the open ocean.
- These reels not only give you control while fishing but the accuracy as well. Nowadays, more advanced fishing reels can withstand much heavier, much stronger forms of line. These are very useful while catching big fishes.
How Do Fishing Reels Work?
There are specific jobs for each and every part in the fishing reel. We have discussed in a simple way below-
- The spool helps in holding the fishing line by being wrapped around its axis.
- Similar to the clicker, the bail is a metallic or silver wire/ knob that by rolling it you determine whether the line is able to or unable to be cast out of the spool.
- The drag knob goes up and down to adjust the velocity, length and spool.
- The handle comes on both side of the fishing reel because it allows the angler’s swapping either direction for left-handed and right-handed people accordingly. The handle direction is reversed by the angler in order to retrieve the line that holds the fish.
Buyer’s Guide To Fishing Reels
As there are various different type of fishing reel available, one must understand the difference between them as well as some other factors that will have an impact on the fishing experience. So, check out our buyer’s guide to find the best fishing reels available in the market below-
Types of Fishing Reels
You must first consider the type of fishing reels. There are three main types-
- Spinning reel- These are the most popular types of fishing reels used by beginners and easy to use.
- Baitcasting reel- These are types that are usually used by professionals. People who want accuracy in casting their lines to get big fishes, this type of fishing reel is ideal for them.
- Spincast reel- This type is similar to a spinning reel. However, its parts limit the accuracy of the line.
The word ‘Drag’ is measured in “kg”. There are front and rear adjustments as two major categories. With only a few exceptions, front drags are more effective for really big fish. You can adjust the drag according to the type of fish. The fishing reel will release the line if the fish pulls the line with more power than the line can withstand. Therefore, it helps in preventing the line from breaking.
A heavy-duty fishing reel offers more resistant to hard conditions and requires a little bit of maintenance. The toughness of reel depends on the quality of the materials used. On the other hand, composite fishing reels are more forgiving to knocks. However, these are heavier when compared to aluminium fishing reels.
You must understand the fishing reels sizes. We’ve explained it below-
- 1000 – 3500/ 10 – 35 class reels are basically small and used for a lightweight 6 – 7 ft rod for small fishes. Typically the monofilament line weight range for these smaller fishing reels is 1-5 kg.
- 4000 – 5500/ 40 – 55 class reels are medium-sized fishing reels used for 6-7ft barramundi style rods. The monofilament line weight range is 4-7 kg.
- 6000 – 9500/ 60 – 95 class fishing reels are the large reels. These are used for the rod sizes that include heavy-weight boat rods. This monofilament line weight range is 6-15 kg.
While the line is running out, a long cast spool helps in reducing lip friction to a minimum. Thus, the line does not slow down as soon as it speeds off the spool.
Tips To Use Fishing Reels Smoothly
We have provided some tips below to help you use fishing reels properly. Check out our tips below-
- Use your finger to hold the line. Ensure that the bail is turned where the line is closest to your finger. Now, make sure when your bait comes out of the other end, you have 12 – 18 inches of a line that comes off the rod.
- Now, you can open your bail, cast the rod when the knob is being rolled and remove your finger to release the line. You can close the bail with your hand or wait for automatic reverse after the line hits the water.
- Inside the components of the fishing reel, there is a spool that holds the fishing line in place and wheels it around to make sure the fishing line’s safety when the rod is being cast.
Fishing reels are popular equipment that can efficiently help you to enhance your fishing experience. There are different types that have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. It is up to you to choose the one that is right for you. That’s why, in this article, we have mentioned all the important points, factors to help you find the best quality available at a pocket-friendly price.