Solar Power Bank
Showing 1–16 of 20 results
Do you need a solar power bank for convenient charging of your devices? The solar power banks are very powerful and efficient units that bring about quality and fast charging for all compatible devices. They have built-in USB ports so that they charge different one or two units; hence very convenient. Besides this, they have different battery capacities that will run for a given duration. Again, solar power bank are ruggedly built using quality waterproof materials to guarantee long-term performance. In addition to this, the units are also sleek and compact allowing for easy portability to different places. Due to this, you can use the devices indoors and outdoors.
Even though there are different models and brands of solar power bank on the market, there are considerations you should think about. For instance, check the built, battery capacity, USB ports, and LED lights among others.
What is a Solar Power Bank?
Solar power bank is a device that converts solar energy into an electric energy, and stores it in a battery. The battery has a circuit which controls the power flow obtained from the sun.
How Does Solar Power Bank Works?
- To catch the energy coming from the sun and to convert it into electrical energy, there are several steps involved.
- Photons from sunlight carry enough energy to push electrons from their orbit in some elements, especially silicon, the material used in most solar cells. The ability of photons to disentangle electrons is called the photoelectric effect.
- The first step is creating an imbalance between positively charged and negatively charged particles in the silicon. This is done by adding boron and phosphorus. The imbalance created by adding these impurities creates an electrical field in the silicon.
- When photons strike the silicon, the electrical field pushes the electrons toward the front of the solar cell, creating a negatively charged side. The protons that are left behind on the other side of the cell surface create a positive charge.
- When the two sides are connected, using an indirect circuit like the terminals of a solar battery charger, the electrons flow into the load and create electricity.
Are Solar Power Bank Effective?
- It is easy to see the benefits of solar power bank – they allow you to recharge gadgets and even car batteries without an external electrical source.
- There are also some subtler benefits. For example, once manufactured, solar cells do not generate any emissions, waste, or by-products.
- Although solar power bank function very well, they do have some limitations. Firstly, the power of solar power bank cannot be compared to a regular battery charger. These chargers are not as powerful, so it takes more time to charge the batteries.
- Secondly, a solar power bank gives out minimal current, so it is more useful for maintaining a charge rather than charging a completely dead battery. So, you must be careful if you are thinking of relying entirely on a solar battery charger.
- Using solar power bank in smaller devices is still more comfortable than using them in bigger ones.
- However, you’ll need to feed the charger with 12 hours of direct sunlight to charge it completely.
Uses Of Solar Power Bank
You can use your portable solar power bank for whatever needs, starting from charging your USB and electronic devices, to using it for power supply during emergency situation. However, a portable solar power bank is really useful for camping, hiking, and all sought of outdoor activities. For these soul reasons, you can use your power banks.
A word of warning. Don’t rely heavily on your small power bank for the entirety of your camping trip. If you are a constant hiker or a camper, you should look at an individual model’s features and decide the best one for yourself.
Types Of Solar Power Bank:
Plenty of manufacturers are in the game of manufacturing solar battery chargers. So, the result is vast types of solar power bank available in the market. Below are some of its types:
1. Portable Solar Power bank:
This is a small device which helps to charge small devices like mobile phones, tablets, Ipod, gaming consoles or any other portable devices.
2. Folding Solar Panel:
Folding panel mostly used in automobiles. If vehicle battery not used in case, you can use Folding panel instead.
3. Public Solar panel:
These are the models that are used in streetlights. Those are for public and public can access the charger for free of cost.
Solar Power Banks Buying Guide
Capacity of the power bank
How often would you like to charge your electronic devices without charging your power bank? That is a question that the capacity of the power bank is able to tell you. Another important question is, for what device you are going to use your power bank? A laptop needs more power than a smartphone. A smartphone can be charged with a power bank of 3.350 mAh but a laptop needs more power. In need of a laptop power bank? Use a power bank with a capacity of 30.000 mAh or higher.
Input and Output
The solar power bank of today is so advanced that you don’t need to make a choice for this question. Only some of the models that are in stores today might not have the correct input or output for your mobile devices. So always check the specifications for the input and output en what devices are compatible with the solar power bank.
Price and quality
If you are searching for the perfect solar power bank that fits with your needs, you have to look further than just the pictures. Take a look at the specifications and decide what specifications are important for your usage of the power bank. Sometimes a cheaper model isn’t matching your needs and the cheap power bank may not last as long as you wish. Another reason to take a good look at the price/quality ratio is the overload. Some cheap power banks can overload and damage your electronic devices. All of our power banks are tested and meet all European safety demands.
A solar power bank is very easy to use when there is no wallsocket available and you have to charge your electronic devices on the way to your destination. The size of the solar power bank is very important to look at because you need to take the power bank with you. A solar power bank for your smartphone or tablet is able to fit in your pocket but a larger laptop power bank isn’t. A laptop power bank does fit in your backpack of handbag.
Besides the capacity of the solar power bank is the amperage also very important. The amperage (A) tells you how fast the solar power bank will charge your electronic devices. A normal power bank has amperage between 1 and 3.5 A. The higher the amperage, the faster the power bank will charge your devices.
When you divide the capacity of the power bank by the capacity of the smartphone or tablet you can calculate how many times you can charge your smartphone with a fully charged power bank.
Usage of the solar power bank
A solar power bank can be used for more that just one purpose. A student can use a power bank in the bus to school when there is no socket available, a climber can use the power bank to use his smartphone when he needs to send an emergancy signal or a survival specialist can use an outdoor power bank when a storm is raging over him.
Use the solar power bank for more than one device
A power bank is very useful for charging your smartphone or tablet at moments when there is no socket available. You can use a power bank for more devices than just your smartphone, tablet and laptop. You can also charge your action camera, portable LED light and any other device with an USB-C or USB input.
Make the most of your solar power bank
A power bank can lose power when you don’t charge it. Even when you don’t use the power bank for the next few months or even years you need to charge it once in a while. You should always charge your power bank when you haven’t used it for a long time. In this case you will increase the lifespan of your power bank.
Advantages That Come With Solar Power Bank:
Charging the phone through a solar power bank saves energy. It will be especially helpful if you charge phone often or have several devices to charge. A solar powered bank can be added to the mix of other charges that are currently using. This will allow exploring the new gadget without making a rough transition.
Great for Traveling:
Charging the phone when traveling, especially for a long time, is quite difficult. Using a power bank for outing is good, so that phones can be recharged, can put different gadget inside, and makes traveling life so easy and comfortable. A solar power bank is able to hold a high level of power and therefore can be used to charge phone throughout several days. All you have to remember is to take power bank out in the daylight and let it regain its power. And another big advantage is with a reliable power bank is forget about bothering with the appropriate adapter.
As you now know it takes a long time to fully charge a solar power bank using just the sun’s energy. But I don’t think that really matters and it isn’t how these devices are designed to be used.
Charge them up fully before you go and then use the suns energy to ‘top-up’ the power bank to extend the use further than it would normally go. Think of the solar panel as more of a bonus feature.
If you are going ‘off grid’ for a while the reality is you will need to get yourself some more panels or you will be sat around for weeks! There are lots of great folding, portable solar panels sets out there now.